Do you want someone to:
1. Tell you you’re doing a good job and why. (or just tell you you’re doing a good job:)
2. Show you verses in Scripture that will help you.
3. Put their arm around you and give you a hug.
4. Be transparent with you about their own struggles and how they’re dealing with the same problems you’re facing; and share with you what God is teaching them.
5. Share with you practical tips on how to do better what you’re doing.
6. Pray with and for you.
7. Sit down over a cup of tea and just listen to you.
8. Model what it looks like day by day to walk with God.
9. Share with you how they’ve successfully applied Scripture to their life, family and problems.
10. Rejoice and/or just Laugh with you.
11. All of the above
Webster’s 1828 Dictionary defines “encourage” this way: ENCOUR’AGE, v.t. enkur’rage. To give courage to; to give or increase confidence of success; to inspire with courage, spirit, or strength of mind; to embolden; to animate; to incite; to inspirit. “But charge Joshua, and encourage him.” Deuteronomy 3.
I’d like to hear your thoughts: What has encouraged you, who lifted you up when you were down, or what ways have you encouraged others?