Like my page on Facebook
Help me reach 500 Likes!
Receive a free copy of
“Ten Things To Make Your Children Mind.”
If you find something helpful here, please Subscribe and Share!
Encouragement, tips and tools to help you
build a loving marriage, train up Godly children,
and bear lasting fruit, standing on the
Firm Foundation of Faith in Jesus Christ.
Thanks for reading!
Here’s what you’ll find at Faith’s Firm Foundation:
Faith and Encouragement: What Our Family-Integrated Church Looks Like, Thankful Thursday posts, Encouragement, Manage It (Victorious in Christ) Mondays, “Do You Pray?” (Series on Prayer by J. C. Ryle), Homemaking linkup posts, Encouragement for Homeschooling moms…
Food Friday: Recipes every Friday!
A Little About Me
I’m Wendy Gunn, and I welcome you to my blog, Faith’s Firm Foundation! I named it that, because of the hymn, “How Firm a Foundation,” which I love. If you haven’t read the words to it lately, I recommend it!
10 Random Facts about me:
- I’m a people-person. That pretty much defines me. I love people and being with them. I’m an extrovert, energized by being with people.
- I’m a night owl:) My brain comes awake about 11AM and I get my second wind about 9:30PM! It is not uncommon for me to be awake until 1:00AM. Sometimes later:) I’m working on this. Would like to get this back to 11:00 or 12:00:) as my best sleeping time would be 11:00 to 7:00. While Homeschooling, I went to bed by 10 or 10:30 and got up every morning for family devotions at 6:15AM, so I know it is possible to reset and train my body clock, but now that I don’t have to get up, and I’m at that age when sleep can be difficult, I have reverted to my natural body clock:) It seems to me, though, that part of heaven is that it’s “eternal rest”! Don’t we, especially women, have a lifelong problem with getting enough (and good) sleep? Just sayin’.
- I love color. I am energized by it. In clothing, I am a “summer” season, but I love bright colors, using different colored pens and markers, and decorating with a “pop” of color.
- I am totally outgoing and energized by PEOPLE!!! But, I am a thinker, analyzer, and planner and love spending hours planning out events, schedules, everything!
- I love paper and forms. I like taking those plans and making a form to make life easier and more organized and efficient.
- I tend to be a procrastinator, but I have learned to be more disciplined. I have read about and studied organization for many years and tried to become more and more organized. I have not arrived in this area, by any means, but organizing has kind of become a hobby with me!
- My husband and I are total opposites:) God has taught us many things through having to try and understand someone so different. So, everything you’ve just read about me above, he is the opposite:) Before we married, we went through 12 weeks of premarital counseling with our pastor, took many personality and temperament tests (in which wherever he went up, I went down, and vice versa) and were told by our pastor one week before we married, “You can still change your mind.” I think that through all that we’ve learned, we have a stronger marriage, and the ability to share with others to help them have a strong marriage, too. We give God all the glory for 38 years of faithful marriage!
- I absolutely love to travel! And I love to fly. Outside of the U.S., I have only been to Mexico and Canada, but I would love to travel all over the world.
- I love meeting and getting to know people from all over the world. When I was little, I would peer over the back of the sofa out the window watching the foreign exchange student who lived a block away as they walked home from school. I asked my parents if we could have a foreign exchange student live with us. They said no. Since having my own home and family, we have had the privilege of hosting dozens of people from around the world in our home, (though no foreign exchange students:) (mostly from Asia) and I have loved every minute of it.
- I love reading. I love reading to children. I love books. Words. Communication. I guess that’s one of the reasons that I love blogging:)
So, I suddenly woke up one day and found myself in my late-50’s (I have no idea how that happened), but I’m grateful for the wonderful husband who I’ve been married to for 38 years and that we were blessed to be able to raise and Homeschool our 2 children from start to finish. Dane and Kelsey are now 30 and 26! I wanted more children, but had difficulty with that, and had one miscarriage between our two children (maybe more that weren’t confirmed). I’m thankful for the grace of God in raising the two children that we have and that they love the Lord and are walking with Him. Neither are married, but we pray for Godly spouses (and Grandchildren someday!!!).
I had ovarian cancer in 2002, and had a football-sized tumor removed. They caught it early (a rarity) and I had 3 doses of chemo, followed by participating in a study for those whose cancer is caught early, in which I received weekly low-level doses of chemo for 24 weeks. I thank God for the doctors and nurses who He used to save my life. I’ve been cancer-free for 14 years come May 21.
I’m a Christian wife and mother, a Homeschooler (I still call myself a Homeschooler–you know it doesn’t matter how old your kids are: once a Homeschooler, always a Homeschooler). I’m also a stay-at-home mom and wanna-be-published writer. I love people, sunshine, decorating, showing hospitality, babies, and mentoring younger moms.
Most importantly, I’m a lover of coffee, chocolate, celebrating friends’ birthdays, and words. Yes, words. Because they’re powerful. Words can change people. They convey ideas, convict consciences, convince minds, correct error, comfort hurting hearts, and communicate “I love you.” God sealed the importance of words forever when He said of Jesus Christ, “The Word became flesh and dwelt among us.”
I’m passionate about living for the Lord, especially within the context of family and the home. The most important place where you serve the Lord is in your own home, with your own family. It’s also the hardest place. I believe that Satan is working night and day to keep wives and moms from staying home and doing that most important work the Lord has for them. We need to finish well, and the key to doing that is keepin’ on keepin’ on, being faithful, by God’s grace, and trusting in the Lord to help us. Only by His grace will we finish the race He’s given us to run.
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not. Galatians 6:9
There’s spiritual power and a testimony to the world
when a Christian couple faithfully builds a loving marriage,
trains up Godly children, and bears lasting fruit, just
living out their day-to-day lives obeying the Word of God,
by the Holy Spirit’s power, standing on the
Firm Foundation of Faith in Jesus Christ.
Is that easy? No. After all these years, I see how difficult that is, and that is why I want to encourage you! I am still learning about this subject daily and have definitely not arrived. But, as I learn, I want to help you. I’m willing to be that Titus 2 older woman if you’re looking for one. I’m available to be your friend. To walk with you on this journey. We have the Word of God, the Holy Spirit and the precious Lord Jesus Christ Himself to help us.
I want to encourage you as you serve the Lord in your home and family.
Thanks for reading Faith’s Firm Foundation!
Leave me a comment, so I can get back to you.
If you found something helpful here, please Subscribe and Share what you see here!
Come back daily for more encouragement, tips, and
practical help being a wife and mom.
Contact me with anything on your mind, at firstname.lastname@example.org